1. I am spending my day doing one of the things that makes me happiest of all-marinating in baseball. Watch the Red Sox win in the early afternoon, listen to the Yankees currently losing in the late afternoon, and tonight I'll watch the Cubs and Cards without having a horse in the race. In between I'll take the pooch for a walk and listen to mindless sports talk. Yes, tomorrow I will probably go straight back to my regular news-obsessed, neocon-hating self, but for just today I am in baseball bliss.
2. Speaking of neocon hating, did you see who is throwing out the first pitch at the All Star Game? None other than President Barack Obama. Did you see who will be catching that ball? Likely 2009 MVP and Triple Crown contender Albert Pujols. You gotta know, the combination of the black president and the Latino first baseman taking center stage at baseball's annual society ball is going to be driving some people insane. Gulp. I just hope they have tons of tight security at Busch Stadium...
3. Watching Tim Wakefield talk about how grateful and humbled he is to be going to the All Star Game makes me realize what complete jerks some of these guys are who are looking for any reason they can to avoid going (yeah, Manny, I'm looking at you, for one). They all should be down on their knees thanking their lucky stars for making them good at swinging a bat or throwing a ball instead of washing dishes, and they should be kissing the fans asses for continuing to support their dirty, drug-addled sport. And that means showing up to the All-Star Game every year you are selected without fail or excuse. Got it? Good.
4. John Smoltz must be wondering if every night he pitches is going to have to be a complete game in order to keep any semblance of order on the mound. Why does Manny Delcarmen suck all of a sudden? Or Justin Masterson? I am going to just take a breath and hope that there is nothing wrong with either of them that a good four days off won't cure.
5. Two out in the bottom of the ninth at Anaheim, Angels up by one, and who is up to the plate but the Steroid Boy Wonder himself. Walk him. Just walk him, and take your chances with Matsui...(jesus, a four-seamer right across the plate, what are you guys doing to me???) Ball...ball..SWINGING STRIKE!!!! NO HEROICS FOR AROID THIS TIME!!! ANGELS SWEEEEEEP, SOX UP THREE AT THE BREAK!!!! Seriously, between ALDSes and killing the Yankees, the Angels have given me some of the best baseball times of my life the past ten years. Give those men a Klondike bar.
6. Emotional halfway point of the season has the Sox in really, really good position, second only to the Dodgers in terms of record, Beckett and Lester looking like Spahn and Sain and Big Papi's power back, if not quite the average. Wooo-hoooo!!!! Bring on the second half!!!
(Pres Obama lifted from Rolling Stone)