1. Tim Wakefield is like a box of chocolates-you never know what you're gonna get. With him, you have to live in the moment, because his next start he could walk six in the first inning. You really just never know.
2. Wakefield, by the way, is who I point to when people say the only reason I hate Schilling is because he's a hanging-tongue, right-wing, neanderthal freak. Untrue! Tim Wakefield is also a hanging-tongue, right-wing, neanderthal freak, and I like him, although I wouldn't want to have dinner with him. The difference? Tim is also humble and a gentleman. I'm sure Wake has thoughts about Manny, but you'd never know it...because some people know that discretion is the better part of valor no matter what their politics.
3. Nice to see a multiple hit game from the top of the order-Ellsbury and Pedroia were starting to remind me of a couple of zombie brothers. And since when does that stupid "climbing the ladder" bullshit work on David Ortiz? Varitek, well, you expect it, but not Papi. Not multiple times in one game! The good news at least is that he's still hitting about a hundred points higher than he was last year at this time, but he's got to get going.
4. It's early so I'm reserving judgment on Brad Penny, but needless to say I'm thus far pretty unimpressed. With Dice-K out, his performance becomes more important than ever. I expect boobirds in earnest if he pulls that crap again. Thank God for a strong bullpen...which, by the way, is absent in the new Yankee Stadium, although the bats have been so far somewhat covering it up. Oh, and nice job, Joba! You "rule."
5. Bottom of the heap on April 18th. Nowhere to go but up.